Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Things to consider – No 1

I went for the 8.5km lap of the lakes today, having rowed on Monday and Tuesday. Slightly concerned as the twinge twinged early on, before I had even got to the underpass. I slowed down and shortened the strides; things were soon OK again.

There are a number of things to consider when running the lakes in Copenhagen. They are a prime spot for runners and walkers, and there are a string of cafes at the north-western corner, another one on the second lake, and another at the north western end of the middle lake. There’s a decent restaurant attached to the planetarium at the southern end too. On a nice day the cafes are completely full (in summer, the one on the middle lake builds an extension out over the lake itself). Likewise the benches are occupied, and the path around the waterfront is busy. Fortunately on the eastern edge, there is an upper path, set back from the lakes and next to the cycle path and road, which is usually empty-ish.

Today was cloudy with a southerly wind, so the lakes were less crowded than usual.

Anyway I digress. The thing to consider is that there are usually a large number of people, so it is essential to look good while running. Most runners don’t look good running, and I am the first to admit that my style is somewhat odd – when injury free it is very long strides, but I think it’s a fairly relaxed one that I can generally keep up for a long time.

Often when running, walking or sitting outside, I see people running past looking as though they are really not enjoying themselves very much, and are possibly close to death. People who run with their eyes locked to the ground 2 feet in front of them – if coming the other way, it is necessary to spot them in advance and get out of their way. What if 2 of them meet head on? Others who look knackered as they swerve from side to side, grimacing with pain. Granted, you have to start somewhere, and if that’s how things are after 500 m, then so be it. But surely they could start a fitness campaign by walking around the lakes, and going for longer and faster walks, then short runs around one lake, and build up from there. I’m pretty sure it cannot be doing them much good.

Running past the cafes – which for me is the final stretch – is the Copenhagen runner’s equivalent of rowing through the enclosures at Henley Royal Regatta. Plenty of people, often people you know among them, and in summer lots of pretty girls. I have no reason to believe any of them are going to get up and run after me on my ‘flypast,’ but you have to look the part. Lengthen your stride, smile, and make it look easy - even if coming to the end of a 30km training run. Here the prevailing southerly breeze helps.

Anyway I finished my run today in about 38 minutes – so a bit of an improvement, still feeling the effects of the injury from time to time. But at least I looked OK coming past the cafes.

1 Comments:

Blogger blue said...

In running gear.... only the gals look good ;)

the blog's good stuff!

5:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home