Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Dublin looking doubtful - Weekly Results 15th October

I rested for the entire week, until Saturday at least, when I went for a run on the treadmill in the office gym. I took 6km – deciding that would be a moderate start, and I could then build up there as fast as I felt able – it might be possible to get another 50-odd km in before the marathon.

It was the first time I had been in the gym – I am not normally a gym person. Not hungover after a moderate night on Friday, I went in morning to see how it was. One of my colleagues was on the other treadmill, and after a little row and some time working out how it all worked, off I went. It was pretty dull and surprisingly tiring as I went off at 14.2km/h – 3 hour marathon time – I thought these things were meant to be slightly easier than the real thing?

Anyway it was fine, took it up a little in the last km, cooled down and stopped. Cycled home, had a shower, and my hip hurt and was slightly swollen. Back to taking it easy - think the diagnosis of the tendon rubbing is accurate. Nothing to do but rest it.

I think Dublin is now out of the question – even if my injury gets better in time, I have down the grand sum of all of 20km in the last 3 weeks – so despite having run a series of personal bests in September, it would not be very intelligent to go for marathon. A couple of months off, and I’ll start again mid-winter. Meanwhile it is back to tramping round the lakes and parks, and cycling – a 40km ride on Sunday, around Amager Fælled, caused no problems. I’ve only been there once before, for the Ørestadsløbet in the July, where I had to race from the airport to get to the start. Looking at it from the leisurely post of my bike, it looks a great place to run – no traffic (the very end is a nature reserve) and a series of trails of different distances. It’s a little way away from home, but when the leg gets better, I’ll try it every now and then.

Meanwhile this will stop until the next campaign starts. I’ll keep fit-ish and be back for next year. I didn’t manage a marathon this year, but 10 shorter races is not bad either. And for the record I am only 50k short of last year’s total – so that might be match-able as well!

Distance run this week: 6km
Distance run to date: 444.1km
Distance cycled this week: 40km
Distance cycled to date: 264km
Distance rowed this week: 0km
Distance rowed to date: 77.3km

1 Comments:

Blogger blue said...

A&W - hope that your leg gets better soon. Take care! ~ TLC

10:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home