Monday, September 04, 2006

Oops! I did it again… (and Weekly Results 3rd September)

Britney Spears, in her youth, used to make some great little pop ditties. Anyway...

A couple of 5k rows to start the week with. Nothing strenuous – back in my rowing days I would have done them in about 17 and a half minutes, at 1.45 minutes per 500m. These were just long and relaxed, just over 20 minutes each. The leg eased up, though I knew the injury was there lurking.


DHL day came – the 5 x 5km relay around Fælledparken, only a few hundred metres from my flat. As I said, I was running on 2 teams as there were 9 of us to make 10 slots. I was not able to race my ‘colleague’ as he was not running first on his team. Off we went – I sprinted the first bit to get ahead of the pack as the run is over fairly narrow, twisting paths. One other guy wearing a company T-Shirt in front – I overtook him at about 1.5km. The first kilometre took 3 minutes 20 seconds and I felt fine. That is my fastest ever recorded kilometre!

I slowed down a bit but still did the second in about 3.35. Then at about the half way mark, the injury kicked in. I slowed down, it was still there. Sod it, I’ll run anyway. It’s done now.

My remaining kilometres were all under 3.50 minutes and I was the first finisher from my company in 18.11 – a personal best as far as I know. The last 1.5km wind through the company tents – this is a big ‘team building event’ for Danish companies – although the course this year was slightly altered as the ground was so muddy, as it had been run over by nearly 10,000 teams of 5 in the previous 3 days. It’s a great feeling, to be among the first into the tents, with crowds on either side of the path cheering the leaders.

The leg was stiff but not bad. I met the rest of my team and Brunch Girl, who had run first for her department, and went and rehydrated with a good Danish beer in our tent, before running as the last runner in the other team. I took it slowly on account of the leg, but still made it round in 19.41 – now running in the crowd and overtaking. My ‘2nd’ team did the 25k in 2 hours exactly; the team I started in made 2 hours 9 minutes. Both well above the half way mark, so we retired to the tent for food and beer and to watch the fireworks.

That of course did not make it any better that the injury was back with a vengeance. No running for a while – and this time I will see a physio about it. See the next post…

Distance run this week: 10.0km

Distance run to date: 311.8km

Distance cycled this week: 0km

Distance cycled to date: 139km

Distance rowed this week: 10.0km

Distance rowed to date: 65.3km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home