Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A 10K race – the Mini-Cooper Havneløb

For the Danish-ly challenged, myself included, the name of this race is ‘The Mini-Cooper Harbour Run.’ ‘Mini-Cooper’ as they sponsor it, ‘Harbour Run’ because…errr…it goes more or less near the harbour.

The start was opposite the office at ten past seven – I had planned to stay a bit late at work and then just stroll across the road at 7 and start, but decided to go home and change instead – then I had a 2.7k warm up and cool down run at each end, over to Kastellet and half a lap of it to the start by the Gefion Fountain. Running over the Langelinie bridge on my way, the 5km runners were passing underneath – other pedestrians (podestrians?) on the bridge probably thought I was late to the start, or lost!

The course was fairly tricky, having a number of tight corners. The first 2, at about 50m out from the start and about 100m after that, were particularly nasty, being less than 90 degrees. I had a front row starting position and decided to sprint off the start and round them ahead of the pack, slowing down to a steadier pace later. This worked well, and entering the first straight along the harbour front past the office, I was in the top 10.

That didn’t last though as the stiff headwind and my steadying pace took effect, and over the next 2km or so I was overtaken by a number of people who had no doubt had to fight their way around the first 2 corners. That was fine – I settled down for the ride.

At about 2.5km I was passed by a runner in a yellow T-Shirt, and decided that was about my pace – he would be a reference point about 10 – 20 metres in front. Between the 1st and 4th KM posts there was a tail wind, as we doubled back on ourselves, went back past the other side of the office, around the outside of Kastellet – not on the nice paths but along the road – and met the headwind again at the Langelinie Marina at KM4. Past the boats and the Little Mermaid and on to lap 2 – lap 1 completed in 18:56.

I slowed a little in the second lap but not a great deal – taking 19:14 and giving a time overall of 38:10. Seeing as I can’t actually remember any previous 10K times, this is officially my record! From KM7 onwards my splits got better as I reeled in the yellow T-Shirt, overhauling him just before the KM9 marker and finishing well in front.

At the finish, they were handing out various Mini-branded goodies. I’m sure the car cleaning pad-thing I was given will come in handy for cleaning my 2 bikes. I ran back home slowly along the ramparts of Kastellet, watching the remaining runners on the harbour path below on their way past the Little Mermaid and over the bridge to the fountain at the finish.

Splits as follows:

KM1 – 03:39

KM2 – 03:47

KM3 – 03:50

KM4 – 03:49

KM5 – 03:49

KM6 – 03:56

KM7 – 03:52

KM8 – 03:51

KM9 – 03:49

KM10 – 03:44

A pretty solid 03:49 per KM average.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home