Sunday, December 31, 2006

1001 kms - the Lake Runner is back

Well 2006 is at an end. The sun has set outside and the fireworks are already getting started. Danes like their fireworks.

So what has the Lake Runner been up to since the end of October? Well I am back, but only just. I took a break from running and joined a local rowing club, the 'Danske Studenters Roklub,' instead to keep fit (Being neither Danish, nor a student, and a long-lapsed rower, we'll see if I manage to stay there!) See DSR for details...mostly in Danish...

The swelling in the hip did not go away. I ran the grand total of 6k in November, and in mid December, heard I had a place in the 2007 London Marathon. It was time to get sorted out, so I toddled off to Anders the physio again on Wednesday, who subjected me to a massage, acupuncture, and told me to go running to see how it was.

On Saturday I duly set off on a tour of the first 3 lakes - 6.1km, which went pretty well. No undue pain, though my hip had been 'tickling' ever since the massage. That left me on 991km for 2006 with 1 day left of the year. 2005's total was 1033km.

There was only one thing for it - though even I drew the line at running a marathon on the last day of the year - I had to get above 1000km. The injury run would do it...so this morning, the injury run it was. It also seemed appropriate to end the injury year with the injury run. Off I set in bright sunshine for Kastellet, and my first run there since September. It was unusually crowded with walkers and a few other runners, and very windy - I set a wind-assisted PB of 6.34 from home to the ramparts on the way. Things slowed up after that though, with the wind and my recent lack of running kicking in. And of course I am taking it easy until 100% fit again...as usual.

So the Kastellet laps were done, then on to the park at Østerport, and the lap of the first lake, which saw the 1000km mark met. Since October, winter has come to the lakes - though with the mild temperatures so far, the 'No skating on the ice' signs are a little optimistic. We have barely had so much as a decent frost so far. But the trees have lost their leaves, the paths are wet, and people are wrapped in winter coats and furs. I was really feeling the fact that I have not run recently by this point, but got round the 10.8 km anyway in a not unrespectable time of 45.10.

I'll start counting for marathon training from the 1st January - these first 2 runs were just 'proving runs.' And I will take it easy to start with - the hip is not 100%. I'll start with a maximum of 20km per week and see how it goes.

2006 summary:

94 runs, 1001.8km, average 10.65 km / run (2005: 95 runs, 1033.7km, average 11.2km / run)

10 races:

3 x half marathons
2 x 10k's
2 x Christianshavnermilen (7.5k)
1 x 6k
2 x 5k's

Not bad going for a year with numerous injuries...let's hope 2007 is smoother.


Races coming up:

Nike Marathon Start up - 10k February
Nike Marathon Start up - 15k March
Nike Marathon Start up - Half marathon April 15th
London Marathon - April 22nd
Copenhagen Marathon - May 20th

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home